Overcast

Steinbach, MB

5°c Overcast

Full Forecast

Local

The Carillon - ONLINE EDITION

Province assures reeve about tertiary project

By: Jordan Ross

Posted: 06/3/2018 10:00 AM

  • Print

Advertisement

La Broquerie reeve Lewis Weiss says he has received assurances from Manitoba Sport, Culture, and Heritage regarding archaeological concerns delaying the municipality’s $4 million lagoon tertiary cell project.

Following his most most recent council meeting, Weiss told The Carillon he met May 16 at the Manitoba legislature with acting deputy minister Dori Gingera-Beauchemin, and was promised department officials will "do everything in their power" to expedite heritage resource tests currently underway near the banks of the Seine River, to help ensure the municipality won’t lose $2 million of time-sensitive federal funding.

"They made it very clear they’re on our side," Weiss said, "but there are rules set in place and they have to follow them."

In a letter last November, the department’s Historic Resources Branch informed La Broquerie council a "heritage resource impact assessment" was needed before the project could receive an environmental license.

The RM budgeted $28,500 for the tests earlier this spring.

Weiss noted a subdivision planned near Marchand has since been hit with the same requirement.

The department believes the tests are necessary to rule out human remains or relics buried in the sandy soil, but Weiss said he doubted agricultural land cultivated for decades will yield anything of significance.

In the meantime, the municipality continues to forge ahead with preparations for the project. Earlier this month, council approved the purchase of eight more acres of land at a cost of $180,000. Weiss said the force main connecting the new wetland cell to the existing lagoon will run through the parcel.

Prompted by provincial regulations implemented in 2016, the new 115-acre wetland treatment cell is intended to reduce nitrogen and phosphorus levels in wastewater discharged into the Seine River.

More Local News

  • RHA maintains confidence in Rest Haven plans

    09/22/2018 9:30 AM

    Southern Health board chair Abe Bergen says he expects an announcement from the province “this fall” regarding long-gestating plans for a 140-bed expansion to Steinbach’s Rest Haven personal care home.

    “At the end of the day, we’re waiting for an announcement, ...

  • William Pachniowski was last seen at his father's home in the RM of Stuartburn on Sept. 12.

    Missing man last seen in Stuartburn

    09/21/2018 4:00 PM
  • Alan Wiebe has entered the Steinbach city council race with a detailed policy document made public as of Thursday.

    Wiebe presses for public engagement

    09/21/2018 10:15 AM

Ads by Google

Electronic Copies

The Carillon single copy cover

Annual Subscription

Back issues available with an e-subscription

Subscribe to single copy
$1.50 each (includes tax)

September 6, 2018 copy now available

Read this week’s classifieds