The Carillon - ONLINE EDITION
By: Dave Baxter
Posted: 02/21/2018 2:00 PM
Hanover School Division and RCMP said Wednesday that an investigation is underway after reports of a threat being made towards Niverville Collegiate Institute by a student.
An RCMP spokesperson said St Pierre RCMP received a call on Tuesday around 10:30 p.m. about a social media post on Instagram involving a photo of a firearm and a comment made that "school is going to be fun tomorrow at the Niverville Collegiate."
Police said the complaint was taken seriously and officers were able to identify those involved.
The publisher of the photo was located along with the firearm in the photo, which turned out to be a pellet gun when examined further, police said.
A 16-year-old male from the RM of Tache was questioned but no charges have been laid at this time. The investigation remains ongoing.
Hanover superintendent Randy Dueck said in a press release that the threat was immediately taken seriously by the division.
"We take all threats of this nature very seriously, and therefore local RCMP were contacted immediately," Dueck said in a press release.
"RCMP have responded to the situation, and are actively investigating. We have been assured that the school is safe, and that lockdown of NCI is not necessary," he added.
"The incident will be reviewed, and we will work with all involved to ensure our schools continue to be a safe and respectful environment for students and staff."
A Mitchell man has been arrested after an indecent exposure incident was reported to police late last week.
Police said last Thursday at about 4:40 p.m. a report was received a man had exposed himself to a group of children.
Tylor Alexander ...
The Carillon on Facebook
Ads by Google