The Carillon - ONLINE EDITION
By: Dave Baxter
Posted: 12/4/2018 9:00 AM
The Hanover School Division has embarked on a traffic study as they hope to ease up traffic congestion in and around Clearspring Middle School.
HSD assistant superintendent Shelley Amos said parents and guardians of CMS students along with school staff and students and residents who live in the area have been complaining about the traffic congestion around the school.
She added traffic congestion is at its worst around the school on weekdays between 3:30 and 4 p.m., when students are typically dismissed for the day.
"The front of the school is a very busy area with school traffic, daycare traffic and local resident traffic," Amos said. "All parties have noticed an increase in traffic as both the school enrollment and the resident infrastructure grows.
"We want to be good neighbors with apartments and nearby homes."
Amos said the study will be conducted by Stantec, the same company that designed the school which first opened its doors to students in 2012.
Amos added the study will focus on ways to improve student safety around the school.
"Student safety is always our top priority," she said. "There are concerns regarding safety of students and pedestrians in such a busy corridor."
The study started last week and Amos said a full report with recommendations will be completed within a few weeks.
Video cameras will be set up around the school as part of the study, but Amos said no one should have any concerns about their privacy being breached.
"The cameras are not capable of capturing facial features, so personal privacy is guaranteed," Amos said. "The video will be used only for purposes of the traffic study, and will not be distributed in any way."
Representatives from the Pat Porter Active Living Centre visited Steinbach city council on Tuesday, asking for support with funding stage upgrades at the Chrysler Gate venue.
Pat Porter Centre president Doug Enns told council the centre needs $21,000 to complete stage ...
The sentencing of a former Lorette teacher convicted of sexually abusing a young girl was delayed but not derailed on Friday, as defence counsel tried to reopen the trial and admit fresh evidence that included an inmate’s handwritten confession.
Court of ...
The Carillon on Facebook
Ads by Google