Homepage
Local
AS I SEE IT COLUMN: All hail Canadian champion Niverville Nighthawks
3 minute read 12:00 PM CDTIt is impossible to put into context just how massive, just how exceptional it is that the Niverville Nighthawks, in only their fourth year in existence, are the best junior A hockey club in the nation.
Going through the Centennial Cup without a loss? Impressive. Being crowned the best junior A team in Canada at such an early age of an organization? Historic.
Some context is needed here to at least try and explain how big the Nighthawk’s championship season was.
In the storied history of Canadian hockey, there had been only three Manitoba teams that had won the Centennial Cup before this year’s tournament. The Portage Terriers have done it twice (in 1973, led by Blumenort’s scoring sensation Randy Penner, who scored an astounding 34 goals in 24 Centennial Cup playoff games that year, including a hat trick in the deciding game. The Terriers won again in 2015). The Selkirk Steelers did it the following season in 1974, thanks to a core of fantastic hockey players from Steinbach (Andy Stoez, Ken Neufeld, Randy Reimer, Ray Mutcheson and Chester Reimer.)
Advertisement
Local
Southeastern Manitoba man found not guilty of sexually assaulting daughter
3 minute read 11:34 AM CDTA southeastern Manitoba man, who was accused of sexual assaulting his 11-year-old daughter, was found not guilty on all charges after his trial ended last year.
Provincial court Judge Michael Clark delivered his decision to acquit the man on Jan. 6 in a Winnipeg courtroom. The Carillon can’t identify the victim or the accused due to a publication ban.
The three-day trial was held in 2025 from Nov. 25 to Nov. 27 in a Steinbach courtroom. The 38-year-old man pleaded not guilty to sexual assault and sexual interference charges dating from March 7, 2020 to Nov. 1, 2022.
Both the 11-year-old daughter and the father testified during the trial as the only witnesses. He was accused of touching his daughter’s vagina multiple times while they both were clothed and sleeping in bed. When testifying, the daughter said her father’s hand would hover over her vagina and then rest on it while they cuddled in bed. She said the alleged incidents first happened when she was six or seven years old and the last incident happened when she was seven or eight.
Local
COLUMN: The Carillon Flashback May 16, 1970 – Trudel tells parents to tackle youth problems
4 minute read Preview 8:20 AM CDTLocal
Howden, Golden Knights into conference semi-finals
3 minute read Preview Yesterday at 12:00 PM CDTLocal
Morris, Ile des Chenes men among arrests in $37.2M drug bust
1 minute read Yesterday at 11:19 AM CDTTwo southeastern Manitoba men were among 33 people arrested in what the Winnipeg Police Service is calling the largest drug bust in Manitoba history.
The accused have ties to the Hells Angels, Wolf Pack Alliance and unspecified Mexican cartels, a Winnipeg Police news release said on May 20.
The two-year investigation, named Project Puma, finished in March 2026 after beginning in 2024. Winnipeg Police partnered with 13 other law enforcement agencies spanning Alberta, Ontario, Manitoba and the RCMP.
The investigation found drugs were being imported from the United States using commercial vehicles and warehoused in Alberta and Ontario. The substances were later transported into Manitoba by mail, private vehicles with hidden compartments, courier deliveries and commercial transport.
Local
Non-profits gather to share challenges, successes at chamber luncheon
6 minute read Preview Yesterday at 8:21 AM CDTLocal
Forecasted rain bumps Car Show on the Ridge to Sunday
3 minute read Preview Updated: Yesterday at 2:03 PM CDTLocal
Man found guilty of multiple assaults, sexual assault on partner in Steinbach
4 minute read Thursday, May. 21, 2026A man has been found guilty of hitting his partner multiple times over the course of two years and sexual assault while she was sleeping.
The victim is claiming the assaults took place between Jan. 1, 2021, and Dec. 31, 2022. The accused was formally charged on June 27, 2025.
The Carillon can’t identify the victim or the accused due to a publication ban.
Provincial court Judge David Ireland delivered his decision in Steinbach. He found the victim to be a credible witness. Ireland found the accused guilty of four out of the five assault charges, the first being hit with the broom, the slap across the face, choking and slapping the victim across the stomach, and a push over the couch.
Local
Gunderson’s walk off keeps Charlotte’s NCAA baseball season alive
2 minute read Preview Thursday, May. 21, 2026Local
Ambiguous divisional email raises concerns of student safety at Niverville school
4 minute read Preview Wednesday, May. 20, 2026Local
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Sportswriter should consider retirement
1 minute read Wednesday, May. 20, 2026I am writing to voice my support for a letter to the editor written by James Smith in the May 7 edition of The Carillon, (Fighting toxicity starts here).
In the same edition of The Carillon James Loewen has a column, As I See It, (We’re all Habs’ fans now). I particularly take exception to Mr. Loewen’s reference stating that Prime Minister Mark Carney is doing everything he can to protect Canada.
If Mr. Carney was really trying to protect Canada, he would not be cozying up to China, a totalitarian communist state that controls, persecutes and imprisons its own citizens.
Mr. Loewen may be a sportswriter, but when it comes to politics, he probably should do a little research to check facts instead of ranting and raving against people he doesn’t agree with, which has no place in a sports column.
Local
COLUMN: The Carillon Flashback August 27, 1986 – Twin River Farm offers bed, breakfast
4 minute read Preview Wednesday, May. 20, 2026Local
City looks to strengthen sump pit and sump pump bylaw
4 minute read Preview Wednesday, May. 20, 2026Agriculture
1946 – 2026 Watching Steinbach Grow: Pasteurized milk delivered daily
3 minute read Preview Wednesday, May. 20, 2026Local
RM of Piney looking for community feedback with housing survey
4 minute read Preview Wednesday, May. 20, 2026Local
RCMP arrest man flashing fake gun in Morris Hospital
2 minute read Wednesday, May. 20, 2026A Plum Coulee man has been accused of flashing a replica hand gun to threaten a woman inside Morris General Hospital and crashing to a highway sign while fleeing last week.
Morris RCMP were called to the hospital at 4:30 p.m. on May 5 after receiving a report of an armed man threatening a female, a March 6 news release said.
Mounties learned two adult women were arguing inside the hospital. A man, who was with one of the females, pulled out a hand gun and threatened the woman.
The two suspects later then left the hospital. RCMP received a second report minutes later that a pickup truck slammed into a Highway 75 sign north of Morris. The truck was abandoned, and the two people were fled on foot.
LOAD MORE HOMEPAGE ARTICLES